Founding Principal, Mediator & Arbitrator
Frank S. Hamlin
For the past 31 years, Frank Hamlin has had an extensive and distinguished career in mediation and arbitration. He has conducted about 4,000 sessions throughout the mid-south since 1992, and has lectured at seminars and law schools on the subject. In addition to his mediation and arbitration work, Frank has also tried over 80 jury trials as well as numerous non-jury trials.
Timeline of Experience
Extent of law practice:
Schedule a Mediation:
Experience as Mediator, Arbitrator, Master & Judge:
- Served as Special Master hearing and deciding small cases for two Circuit Judges in 1974-1975; served as Special Circuit Judge for several Circuit Court Judges in Little Rock, Arkansas on five or six occasions. This involved both jury and non- jury trials.
- Served as mediator or arbitrator in over 4,000 cases in various states; mediations and arbitrations involving personal injury, wrongful death, products liability with some injuries involving brain damage and permanent and total disability, cases involving over-the-road truck accidents, numerous class actions, medical malpractice suits, nursing home cases (numerous as mediator and arbitrator, including three (3) member panels), construction cases, commercial litigation, securities litigation, employment litigation, wage and hour claims, insurance contract disputes, unfair competition, trademark disputes, tortious interference with business interests, and disputes involving government entities; two different construction mediations lasted three days and two evenings, both were successfully resolved and each had 15 parties with each represented by counsel; conducted one mediation involving a ten (10) tractor trailer rig (and other vehicles) accident in the fog with many deaths, lasting two days and one night.
- Served on the national Dalkon Shield Arbitration Panel, arbitrating many of those cases; cases were administered by the Private Adjudication Center of Duke University Law School with in-depth written opinions required on all arbitrations.
- Served as settlement administrator and arbitrator in a large dispute between the Insurance Commissioner of the State of Missouri and PFL Life Insurance Company (Aegon Insurance Group) ruling upon 174 cases as arbitrator.
- Set up and administered a claims process for Georgia Pacific Corporation involving numerous property damage claims in Crossett, Arkansas due to hydrogen sulfide gas exposure.
- Served as arbitrator on 120 medical malpractice cases against a former orthopedic surgeon, requiring a damages hearing on each case to divide a $10 million dollar settlement among the 120 plaintiffs.
- Served as mediator on approximately 40 cases against American Airlines relating to the crash of Flight 1420 in Little Rock, Arkansas on June 1, 1999; this crash resulted in 11 deaths and injuries to all other passengers.
- Served as mediator on several very large multi Plaintiff and multi Defendant environmental cases involving oil clean up in the oil fields of south Arkansas.
- Served as arbitrator and panel chairman of a three member arbitration panel on a nursing home injury/death case in Charlotte, NC with the arbitration lasting one week.
- Mediated a 30 Plaintiff case involving injuries from a bus accident. This mediation was conducted in Spanish.
Timeline of Experience
Frank has delivered numerous speeches and participated on numerous panels on the subjects of arbitration and mediation at local and state bar meetings and law schools. He also has professional affilations with the:
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Member
- Association of Attorney-Mediators, Member
- American Bar Association,Section of Dispute Resolution
- Arkansas Bar Association, ADR Committee, former chair and vice-chair
- Arkansas Conflict Resolution Association, President 1999-2001
U.S. District Court, Arkansas (1974)
U.S. District Court, E.D.Texas (2004)
8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (1974)
U.S. Supreme Court (1978)